Jobseekers Need $80 A Day

CDC – Cashless Debit Card

The Cashless Debit Card is a form of compulsory income management that quarantines 80 percent of an income support recipient’s payment to a card that leaves them with just 20 percent available in cash.

For the past few years the card has been continuously ‘trialled’ in Ceduna, East Kimberly, Hinkler and the Goldfields. The card has recently been expanded to Cape York and the Northern Territory.

The Cashless Debit Card doesn’t help people with addiction, it doesn’t help people find jobs, and only serves to make life harder for those already doing it tough on income support payments.

Due to the card restrictions, people on the cashless card are unable to access cash economies to buy things such as second hand goods or goods from community markets. People face stigma and shame in using the card in their community and are constantly dealing with the many issues with using the card to pay for basics like rent and groceries.

Despite there being no evidence that compulsory income management works, the Government continues to push this policy. It’s time for this social experiment to end.

The Australian Greens acknowledge that First Nations peoples are the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land we call Australia. We know this land was stolen and that sovereignty was never ceded. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging.

Authorised by R. Siewert, The Australian Greens, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600.

Privacy Policy